Anytime you use a pesticide you need to be cautious, especially when children and pets are around.
One of the main reasons I designed the Vole Control Bait Station System is to find a safer and better way to apply the poison bait so pets can't get to it. The bait station design is much more effective and safer than placing loose bait into vole entrance holes or runways where a non-target animal may easily reach it. But I can't say the bait station is totally tamper resistant. A large persistent dog or other animal can disturb the station and shake out some of the bait and consume it.
The Least Toxic Vole Bait to Non-Target Animals
I recommend using Kaput® Rat, Mouse & Vole Bait as the bait to use in the Vole Control Bait Station System because it is labeled for vole control in all states, and is the least toxic to non-target animals of any of the rodenticide baits.
- For example, a 50 lb. dog would have to consume 4 to 8 ounces of other rodenticides to be lethal while it would have to consume 113.5 ounces of the Kaput product.
- The active ingredient in Kaput, Warfarin, is less likely to result in a "secondary kill", that is, another animal being poisoned from eating a vole poisoned with Kaput. Warfarin is metabolized in about 42 hours, meaning that the poison should no longer be active in the tissues. A vole may not even be dead before the active ingredient is out of its system.
- The manufacturer of Kaput, Scimetrics, has indicated that a 50 lb. animal would have to consume over 7 pounds of voles poisoned with Kaput to ingest a lethal dose.
- In over 19 years, Scimetrics, manufacturer of Kaput, has never had a report of a secondary kill from another animal consuming a rodent that has eaten the bait.
See charts below for more information.
Toxicity of Various Rodenticides to Dogs (50 lb.)
Active Ingredient VS Amount of Eaten Bait to Attain Mortality
|Brodifacoum 0.25 mg/kg
Talon, Final 0.005%
Contrac, Maki 0.005%
|Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage, University of Nebraska|
If Your Pet Consumes Poison Bait:
If your pet were to consume enough of the bait, the animal would become sickly and lethargic and its gums would bleed (the saliva would look pink). You would need to get the animal to the vet right away for vitamin K, which would stop the effect of the poison.
Data from an EPA Report
How warfarin poses a lower risk factor to non-target animals when compared to other commonly used rodenticides.
A recent rodenticide risk assessment draft report published by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, presented warfarin as the lowest risk to mammals and birds of the anticoagulants. Warfarin remains as an effective choice for rodent control in the U.S. Numerous reports from professionals around the country support this claim. Laboratory and field studies in the US have substantiated the fact that warfarin resistance to rodents is not an issue of concern.
This chart shows that Warfarin is the lowest risk to non-target animals of any of the other rodenticide baits. Also, it has the lowest secondary risk to birds and mammals. Secondary risks refers to the effects of the poison on an mammal or bird that eats a rodent that has consumed the bait. Warfarin has the least effect on secondary animals.
My Personal Experiences & Recommendation
Homeowners with dogs have told me that their dogs didn't seem to notice the stations. This has been the case with our dog as well. Our dog has killed ducks and birds, but has never brought up a dead vole. She loves to bring things to the house from other people's yards, such as trash and children's toys, but she has ignored the bait stations throughout our yard.
However, all pets are different. I would take into account whether your pets currently dig for voles and whether they are destructive to property (i.e. chewing or gnawing on things in the yard as puppies do). If your pets don't dig for the voles now, then I wouldn't think they would in the future. If you choose to use the Vole Control Bait Station System, I would advise keeping a close eye on the stations and your pets in the first few days after installation. In addition, anytime you monitor the stations with the pets around take note whether they show any interest in bothering the stations.
As stated previously, anytime you use a pesticide you need to be cautious. You know your pets and their behavior best, so with these facts in mind I'll let you make an educated decision as to whether you want to give the bait station a try.
If you need further clarification, please feel free to contact me.
Marshall H. Warren - President - Vole Control, Inc.